What will this policy do?
This policy will provide continued policy guidance for existing Areas of Major Change in the urban area of Cambridge identified in the Cambridge 2018, as still appropriate and where not covered elsewhere in the First Proposals.
Proposed policy direction
Areas of Major Change are extensive areas of development comprising defined and known sites collectively shaping the spatial structure of Cambridge. They require a comprehensive approach to development and renewal that recognises the dependencies between sites in order to bring forward holistic change. They also need careful integration with existing nearby communities. They embrace mixed uses and multiple functions, and require significant infrastructure investment and support. The need for the policy and any revisions to any of the identified areas will be considered for the draft plan.
Continuing existing Areas of Major Change
It is proposed to continue to identify the following Areas of Major Change:
- S/AMC/Policy 21: Station Areas West and Clifton Road (pdf)
- S/AMC/Policy 12: Fitzroy/Burleigh Street/Grafton (pdf)
- S/AMC/Policy 16: South of Coldham’s Lane (pdf)
It is also proposed to continue the following Areas of Major Change located on the edge of Cambridge.
- Policy 17: Cambridge Biomedical Campus (including Addenbrooke’s Hospital) Area of Major Change: An expanded Area of Major Change (see S/CBC for more details)
- S/AMC/Policy 19: West Cambridge Area of Major Change - we will consider expansion of the Area to include Eddington as we prepare the draft plan.
- Policy 20: Land between Huntingdon Road and Histon Road Area of Major Change – we will consider expansion of this Area to include sites within South Cambridgeshire (see also S/EOC for more details) (pdf)
It is not proposed to carry forward the Area of Major Change identified in the adopted 2018 Cambridge Policy 18: Southern Fringe Areas of Major Change.
Why is this policy needed?
In these Areas of Major Change policy guidance is required so that development opportunities in these locations are progressed in a comprehensive manner, including ensuring careful integration with existing nearby communities.
It is considered that the new should continue to provide planning guidance in the areas proposed to be carried forward from the 2018 Cambridge Local Plan.
What consultation have we done on this issue?
There was no specific consultation on this issue in the First Conversation consultation.
What alternatives did we consider?
No Policy – Not considered a reasonable alternative as it is considered that this would not provide sufficient guidance for planning in important areas of the city.
Supporting evidence studies and topic papers
Existing policies in adopted 2018 Local Plans
- Policy 12: Fitzroy/Burleigh Street/Grafton Area of Major Change
- Policy 14: Areas of Major Change and – general principles
- Policy 16: South of Coldham’s Lane Area of Major Change
- Policy 21: Station Areas West and Clifton Road Area of Major Change
Tell us what you think
Our consultation for this phase is now closed.